Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Beautiful Songbird



This picture came from a song that is written by singer & songwriter Lisa Mitts.  This song is dedicated to all of the young woman caught in human trafficking  On the night of  June 16 2012, as she sang this song during a  concert,  immanently I saw this picture.  Tears flowed  and I knew this project was like no other, because it was for an important purpose and beyond what I have done so far in my art abilities.  What I saw was this.  In the back yard there was a songbird in a cage, but the door was opened by a young girl whom herself had been rescued.  She being angry, wanted the bird to come out of the cage  The bird stood there not knowing what to do.  Both of them  in different situation, but yet going though similar story.   Little does the child know she is loved and has a voice and destiny in the kingdom of God, and the song bird also has wings to fly and sing outside the cage.

Prior to this project, I've not explored drawing things from my environment  I have done abstract and shapes.  I have tried several times to do a face, but it was lop sided and not really clear.   In learning to draw a face you draw: an oval one line in the middle and three horizontal lines indicating the position of the nose eyes & mouth.  However, once I started to draw the features they would become crooked because I have to get close to see what I am drawing.  I also did not understand what shapes were needed to draw the: lips, eyes, & nose.  After doing the sculpture I was able to do this picture.  I wanted to do a sculpture of a face because I wanted to understand the shape of the face. It  was exciting to me to see each feature take shape. Like a puzzle feeling and putting things together. The human face is full of shapes within shapes.  Everything is aligned.  God is detailed about his creation.

Even the bird took time. Up until Lisa sang this song, I had no idea what a songbird looked like until I looked on the web.  There were all different shapes and sizes, but one stood out to me that was red & black. The beak was different color.  I don't know what they sound like. Being an artist has broaden my horizon to the world around me.


No comments:

Post a Comment